Monday 7 November 2011

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

So, the last topic I blogged about was Anger and frustration and how we each manage these. I guess the topic I'm blogging about today could follow on from the back of the last one. Just as the title says the top is Decisions or Decisions, Decisions, Decisions....

You might be wondering why I've written the same word out three times? or maybe not...I'm going to tell you anyway! haha When you get to a certain point in time where a decision on something needs to be made, some use a saying "Decisions, decisions, decisions",  and I thought it would be the perfect title for what I wanted to write about today.

We all come to points in our life where we have to make a decision of some sort. It could be as simple as deciding what to have for lunch or more extreme; whether to buy a property or not? or deciding whether to get married or not?

I guess the simple decisions are ones we make on a daily basis and for the most part make those decision for ourselves. I mean you wouldn't take a decision on what to eat based on how happy or sad it would make someone else, would you?

The more complex, difficult or important decisions in life however seem to have more to think about and possibly more people to consider. I've seen recent examples where people have made decisions or are in the process of making decisions as to the next step in their lives. Certainly for some of them, the process is a lot more painful than others.

Another factor in decision making is whether that decision is being made for your best interests or someone else's. Not sure what I mean? Let me try and explain with an example I recently came across. Someone I used to know well came to a decision recently about the rest of their life, which they made because they felt it would make their family happy. Doing something for your family certainly isn't a bad thing is it? I certainly don't think it is, but when the decision is made based on squashing your own happiness for short term happiness, I don't think I would agree.

The decision this person made was what their family wanted, not the decision that on the face of it made them happy. I can't say I understand the logic behind their decision but almost blindly making a decision for the short term happiness of loved ones has the potential for long terms grief for this person, their family and anyone else involved. I hope I'm wrong and hope their decision turns out to be fruitful and the right one for all concerned. What would I do if i was in that position? Well, I would discuss the situation with my family and explain my actions and decisions for the long term happiness of both me and them. That's what I would do though and I guess my logic is different to this person.

There's plenty of other difficult decisions which we do need to take in to account and how they effect other people. Perfect example is a couple reaching a certain stage in their relationship where they struggle to agree what their next steps are. An example I've come across is one person in the relationship is ready to commit further and the other wants to be at a certain point in their life before making the commitment to marriage. Probably one of the most difficult decisions to make and I guess a level of compromise is required and only they know what's right for them. Certainly deciding to go their separate ways isn't an easy decision particularly after X amount of years together. They both need to do what's right for them as individuals in  my opinion but being an outsider it's easy for me to say probably.

Another decision that most of us have to make at some point is what our next career step is, we get to a point in our careers sometimes where we're too comfortable for our liking and it's time for a change. I've spoken to a few people over the last few months where this seems to be the case for them. With the way the economy is these days I think everyone should probably be happy they have jobs! Again, this decision is something that usually needs to take others in to consideration, especially if you have responsibilities as the bread winner in the family or one of the bread winners.

Very random post I guess, but if you read my posts then you should know they're usually quite random! I guess I wanted to write the post as decisions aren't always as easy as they seem to make from the outside but there's plenty of things that need to be considered before making them. Particularly when making decisions that seem right in the short term. Are they really right in the long term? Should you be selfish when making decisions sometimes?

Have you had to make difficult decisions lately? are you on the verge of making a difficult decision? what's going through your mind? who is going through your mind?

My personal opinion is that we should make the right decision for ourselves. Do what makes you happy and the likelihood is it will make those around you happy too, at least those that love and care about you. I've always believed that family will always support whatever makes you happy.




4 comments:

  1. Those that do things for the sake of making others happy tend to be of a certain character type, therefore their happiness resides in seeing their family happy which results in them being happy. Also, somemake decisions in their favour but use family as a reason for making that decision, but in reality its their own decision but won't admit it because they don't want to reveal that they are actuallt happy with their decision for what ever reason. Also, its a like a hierarchy, at the top you have decisions, then you have choices, then you have options. If one has no options then thats the foundation of making them making their decision with no choice what so ever....

    ReplyDelete
  2. get a fucking life you self-absorbed egotistical twat!!!

    your blogs are amateur at best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chirag, i have known you for a long time and have always wondered why you are so depressed? This blog isn't original. It's negative and pessimistic. You think you are a deep thinker, but actually you're just depressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous number 2: thanks for your lovely comments. my thoughts and opinions are very much my own, if you don't like what i write, don't read it...simples

    Anonymous 3: Thanks for your comments too. The topics i write about are not meant to be negative or pessimistic, just my thoughts. I wouldn't say i'm depressed but you're entitled to your opinion. oh and would love to know who you are, I'm certainly curious

    All comments are welcome, whether they be insulting or otherwise. I like to write, so I do, everyone as i said is entitled to their opinions. I don't claim to be a professional and never will.

    It's amazing how people write things anonymously when they want to throw insults, if you have a problem with what I write then don't read it. Simple as that really :-)

    ReplyDelete